After seeing Spiderman 3 Friday night (on the five star scale, we give it four), it dawned upon us – this is one of the greatest movie trilogies in cinema history. Yes, that’s a completely subjective comment, and chances are you vehemently disagree. So how about a post regarding the five best trilogies in movie history?
We’re not basing this on any box-office profits, or cultural significance, just movie trilogies we thoroughly enjoyed.
The majority of trilogies had such a horrible second effort (or second trailer), that the series was ruined – case in point American Pie, Bring it On, Species – and we never bothered to check out the third edition. But here’s our top five, followed by an honorable mention list after the jump):
1. The Original Star Wars Trilogy (Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, Star Wars)
2. Indiana Jones (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade)
3. Jason Bourne (Bourne Idenity, Supremacy, Ultimatum – though not out yet, we’re positive it will rock)
5. Mission Impossible
Honorable mention (in no particular order):
* Meet the Parents
* The Naked Gun
* Ocean’s 11 (probably would have been 7th)
* Pirates of the Caribbean (never bothered with the second one)
* Poison Ivy (Drew Barrymore, Jaime Pressly and Alyssa Milano make this a must-have box set)
* The Godfather (three is such a farce it nearly kept the trilogy off this list)
* Terminator (probably would have been 6th; T2 may be the best second movie of any trilogy)
* Wild Things (Susan Ward is so incredibly hot in II that she makes up for how weak III is)
UPDATE: ** Lethal Weapon is a terrible omission. It may have cracked the top five – especially because of the incredibly hot Patsy Kensit in the second edition. She does show nipple.
*** Back to the Future I is one of our top 20 movies of all-time. The soundtrack rules. But II and III were terribly awful.
[Of note, for those of you wondering where are the animated flicks are: we haven’t seen any of the Lord of the Rings movies, and ditto for Harry Potter. ]