If you don’t yet love Minnesota Twins catcher Joe Mauer, perhaps some of these radical nuggets will sway you. If you live in Minnesota, or have tracked Mauer’s glorious life, forgive us for boring you with details you’ve been aware of for years:
* Joe Mauer threw 73 TDs in two years as a QB in high school, and won a State title. He signed with FSU to play QB, but then entered the MLB draft (where he went No. 1 overall). His high school is known for producing good QBs.
* Joe Mauer was a 2-time All-State high school basketball player in Minnesota.
* Joe Mauer struck out just once in four years of high school baseball.
* Joe Mauer dated Miss America, 2005, Chelsea Cooley.
* Joe Mauer once modeled for Perry Ellis.
* Joe Mauer just won his third batting title in four years (he was hurt in 2007).
No wonder Joe Posnanski wants to make babies with this kid. If Mauer were playing in a massive media market like Los Angeles, Boston, or New York, his popularity would rival that of Tom Brady, Derek Jeter, and Kobe Bryant. Of this, we are certain. [Joe Mauer's Girlfriend, SI Vault]