A 2012 NFL mock draft just days after the 2011 draft? Before 2011 free agency commences? Before the 2011 season even begins, assuming there is one? Before the 2011 college football season begins? Before any college underclassmen declare for the 2012 NFL draft? Oh just have fun with it. Thoughts/ideas/names gleaned from Kiper, this mock draft, and this mock draft. The internet loves a good mock draft. Onward!
1. Miami Dolphins - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford
2. Carolina Panthers - Jared Crick, DT, Nebraska – Cam Newton will probably cry for a offensive skill player, and maybe he’ll get one thanks to the new Rookie Wage Scale. Crick moves to DE, becomes their next Julius Peppers.
3. Washington Redskins – Landry Jones, QB, Oklahoma – Can he top 4,700 yards and 38 TDs from 2010? Sooners should open the season at No. 1.
4. Oakland Raiders – Quinton Coples, DE, North Carolina – Probably should put a QB here, but I (perhaps foolishly) still believe in Jason Campbell.
5. Cincinnati Bengals – Jerel Worthy, DT, Michigan State
6. Buffalo Bills – Travis Lewis, LB, Oklahoma
7. Denver Broncos - Mike Martin, DT, Michigan
8. San Francisco 49ers – Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama
9. Seattle Seahawks – Matt Barkley, QB, USC – Reunited (with Pete Carroll) and it feels so good.
10. Arizona Cardinals – Vontaze Burflict, LB, Arizona State
11. Tennessee Titans – Cordy Glenn, OL, Georgia
12. Minnesota Vikings – Cliff Harris, CB, Oregon
13. Jacksonville Jaguars – Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma State – Everyone’s got him in the Top 5, but a lot of that hinges on the new offensive coordinator at OK State, and how much production Green and Jones do as rookies.
14. Kansas City Chiefs – Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama – Slides right in for Thomas Jones.
15. Cleveland Browns – Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina – Colt McCoy is a happy, happy man.
16. Chicago Bears – Luke Kuechly, LB, Boston College – The replacement for Brian Urlacher.
17. New York Giants – Matt Kalil, OT, USC
18. Houston Texans – Greg Reid, CB, Florida State – Finally, the Texans get a corner! Reid vs. Oklahoma’s Ryan Broyles in September should be fun.
19. Dallas Cowboys – Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama
20. Tampa Bay Bucs – Mike Brewster, OL, Ohio State
21. Detroit Lions - Chase Minnifield, CB, Virginia – Last hole on the team. Dare to dream about a Super Bowl in February 2013.
22. Pittsburgh Steelers – Mark Barron, S, Alabama – Ultimately, he could replace Troy Polamalu.
23. Philadelphia Eagles – Ryan Miller, OL, Colorado
24. Baltimore Ravens - Dont’a Hightower, LB, Alabama – At some point, they’ll have to draft a replacement for Ray Lewis.
25. St. Louis Rams – Nate Potter, OL, Boise State
26. San Diego Chargers – Ryan Broyles, WR, Oklahoma
27. Indianapolis Colts - Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State – The successor to Peyton Manning?
28. Cleveland Browns (from Atlanta Falcons) - Dan Herron, RB, Ohio State – The Browns could be a serious playoff contender in 2012.
29. New England Patriots (from New Orleans Saints) – Juron Criner, WR, Arizona – Yeah, like Belichick would take a WR this high.
30. New England Patriots – Adewale Ojomo, DE, Miami – If he has too good of a year in Miami, he’ll go higher. I think he’ll be a breakout player in 2011.
31. Green Bay Packers - Alfonzo Dennard, CB, Nebraska
32. New York Jets – Manti Te’o, LB, Notre Dame – Yup, I have the Jets winning the Super Bowl. That obviously will change after free agency, but regarding this pick … Te’o steps in for Bart Scott.