Midnight Madness officially kicks off the college basketball season tonight, but games don’t start for another 3+ weeks. And the season doesn’t officially begin until Thanksgiving week when the Maui Invitational takes place (can’t wait to see Duke and Memphis in the Final). Nevertheless, Jerry Palm already has a 68-team NCAA tournament mock bracket out. Because of my wanton lust for college basketball, I thought I’d share my thoughts on Palm’s guesses:
* No Virginia Tech? Again? I love the Green-Hudson combo. In! Finally!
* Interesting that Palm went with Syracuse over UConn as the last No. 1 seed. I had the ‘Cuse higher in May, but the Andre Drummond signing in August vaulted UConn higher.
* VCU and Old Dominion over George Mason in the CAA? Bit of a surprise, since the
Colonials Patriots return much more talent than either team (but not their coach).
* Tom Crean and Indiana don’t make the field. Hmmm. I know Crean took over a program in terrible shape, but what will be the reaction in Bloomington if the Hoosiers go four straight years with no NCAA trips? Before he arrived, the Hoosiers missed the field just three times from 1986-2008.
* Palm has the Big East “only” getting 8 teams in the field. That’d be down from 11 in 2011. He’s got two marquee teams missing the tourney: Villanova & Georgetown.
Previously: I’ve Got Some Issues With the List of the Top 100 Players in College Basketball
Previously: Andre Drummond Signs with Connecticut, Huskies Begin Dreaming of Repeat
Previously: 2011-2012 College Basketball Preseason Top 25
blog comments powered by Disqus