Hugh Freeze, who coached Arkansas State to a 10-2 record this season, has informed his team he’s accepted the Mississippi coaching job. Even though Freeze had a very impressive year, he should preach patience with Hotty Toddy Ole Miss fans. Building the Rebels into a contender could take several years in the brutal SEC West. I don’t think Ole Miss is a good job right now – especially not in a division with LSU, Alabama and Arkansas. Auburn’s not a bad program, either.
In the event you were out of the loop over the weekend regarding the college football coaching carousel here’s a quick overview: (some things were covered in the Roundup):
* Chris Petersen said no to UCLA.
* UCLA reportedly isn’t interested in Kevin Sumlin.
* Lots of Kevin Sumlin-to-Texas A&M rumors. None have panned out.
* Arizona State reportedly lost interest (or never had any?) in Kevin Sumlin.
* Arizona State is apparently hot for June Jones of SMU.
* Colorado State’s new AD, Jack Graham, booted coach Steve Fairchild Sunday.
Basically, zero has happened on the front for these jobs:
Texas A&M … nobody knows what is happening there.
Ditto for Kansas.
Nothing credible has emerged in regard to the UNC job, but you’ll continue to hear SEC assistant coaches in the mix.
It’s still too early for names to pop up about the Penn State job. The Dan Mullen rumors were bullshit.
The Illinois job remains a mystery. Some outlets are saying Cincinnati’s Butch Davis said no, but there’s been no official comment.
blog comments powered by Disqus