UFC fighter Nick Diaz tested positive for marijuana following his main event loss to Carlos Condit on Saturday night at UFC 143. Keith Kizer, the executive director of the Nevada State Athletic Commission confirmed the positive test this afternoon.
All results received thus far have been negative, except Mr. Diaz tested positive for marijuana metabolites. A complaint for disciplinary action against Mr. Diaz has been filed.
Rumors began to swirl earlier this week after a rematch between Diaz and Condit was booked and canceled in a matter of minutes.
After losing his interim title bout to Condit on Saturday, Diaz said he was “done with MMA” and added that he didn’t need “this shit.” Many people took this as Diaz retiring which was ridiculous considering he’s 28 years old and in the prime of his career. Now he’s facing at least a temporary retirement.
With welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre on the shelf until late 2012, many fans were calling for a rematch from the moment the scores were read on Saturday. On Tuesday night, Dana White confirmed via Twitter that Condit had accepted the rematch and the two would fight again. Diaz’s camp immediately said that the fight was off and wouldn’t happen this year, but no reason was given. On Wednesday conflicting reports began to trickle out that the fight was off, but no one knew why. It probably should have been a clue that both Diaz and Condit wanted the fight, Dana White had kind of announced it and neither fighter was injured.
White tweeted to a few fans on Tuesday night that Condit wanted the rematch. Diaz previously had a 2007 submission victory over Takanori Gomi changed to a no contest after testing positive for marijuana. In 2009, Diaz bragged to the Los Angeles times that he was still a pot smoker and had an easy way to beat a drug test.
blog comments powered by Disqus