Rick Majerus, the longtime college basketball coach, died Saturday at the age of 64. Among the must-read columns on his passing are this one from Seth Davis, this one from Gordon Monson, and this one from Gary Parrish. Here are, in my estimation, the five best Rick Majerus quotes:
* “Some guys smoke. Some guys drink. Some guys chase women. I’m a big barbecue-sauce guy.” Arizona Republic, 1998.
* “Nobody thought I’d be a great coach. I’m the kind of guy you’d expect to be driving an 18-wheeler through town.” Reno Gazette-Journal, 1999.
* “I’m particularly happy to go back to Chicago. I mean, we don’t have an Italian restaurant in Utah that ends in a vowel. [In Utah], you’re eating at a place like Olson’s or something and ordering baked manicotti out of the Chef Boyardee can.” Salt Lake Tribune, 1997.
* “I started wearing glasses last season but they’re only for basketball games and dirty movies.” Charlotte Observer, 1998.
* “I’m not a big Gay guy.” – on UConn’s Rudy Gay, with video below.
[There are a treasure trove of Majerus quotes here.]