For the first time on the podcast, I spoke with someone I’m not super familiar with: Mike Greenberg, the ESPN radio host. He’s written another book, All You Could Ask For, which hit the NYT bestseller list, and ESPN offered him up for an interview. I tried to tackle topics that he doesn’t gab about on his radio show, so we steered totally clear of actual sports, like the Jets (whom we both root for) and the NBA playoffs. What did we talk about?
* The book – which isn’t about sports – and why he wrote it. I’m 78% certain it will be optioned into a movie.
* ESPN”s Northwestern mafia.
* Chemistry between TV personalities, like him and Golic.
* Is Mike & Mike too vanilla of a show? On a network that pushes debate and strong opinions, does the show have any?
* Piggybacking the strong opinions (or lack thereof) why did the start adding Colin Cowherd a couple days a week?
* In the social media age, how much does he fear screwing up, and it going viral? Yes, his memorable error a few years ago was mentioned.
* Everyone vs. ESPN. Greenberg defended ESPN on the debate issue. Pretty aggressively.
Episode: 13: Manish Mehta of the Daily News and Judy Battista of the NYT Talk Jets, Tebow and Sanchez
Episode 12: Evan Silva and Josh Norris of Roto World Talk About the NFL Draft
Episode 11: NFL Podcast with Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports, Who Hates the Draft
Episode 10: Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports on the NFL Draft and College Football
Episode 9: NBA Playoff Talk with Howard Beck of the New York Times
Episode 8: Talking Michigan-Louisville and the NBA with Al Horford of the Atlanta Hawks
Episode 7: NFL Draft Talk with ESPN’s Todd McShay
Episode 6: Kevin Ware Reaction, with John Ourand, Dan Steinberg & Clay Travis
Episode 5: Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network
Episode 4: Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports
Episode 3: Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports
Episode 2: Doug Gottlieb of CBS Sports
Episode 1: Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors