Other than Aaron Hernandez, the two biggest sports stories this summer have centered around Houston: Dwight Howard signing with the Rockets, and Johnny Manziel’s off-the-field exploits for Texas A&M. (College Station is 90 minutes from Houston.) So I spoke to Houston Chronicle columnist Jerome Solomon about what the chatter is like in Texas right now on these topics. (He also hosts an ESPN radio show in Houston.) Is it odd that the Dallas Cowboys are maybe the 4th or 5th biggest story in Texas right now? One could argue – as we do on the podcast – that the Texans as a Super Bowl contender and Mack Brown’s job being on the line in Austin are bigger than the Cowboys right now.
Here’s a brief breakdown of the Podcast:
* Solomon’s rocky relationship with Daryl Morey, the Rockets GM
* Did you know the Rockets have only won one playoff series since 1999?
* Solomon has been a Texas resident almost his entire life. He left for the Boston Globe for a few years.
* “I love Bill Belichick. We got along.” Who says that?
* Loved this quote about the Houston Texans cozying up to the media: “They’ll let you in the huddle if you ask nicely enough.”
* We spent some time on Johnny Manziel and both of us agreed – the media’s being far too harsh on him.
* Solomon covered Manziel in high school, and said he partied hard then, too. He’s the same kid he was then that he is now.
* We joke about Mack Brown. Solomon doesn’t think he’ll return after this season. I toss out Nick Saban as a replacement idea.
* “Kevin Sumlin is definitely leaving for the NFL after this season or next season.”
Episode 18: ESPN Radio Host and TV Analyst Dan Dakich
Episode 17: Dick Vitale of ESPN
Episode 16: Dan Wolken of USA Today Sports
Episode 15: Talking Sports Media with Dan LeBatard the Columnist/Radio Host/TV Host
Episode 14: Mike Greenberg, ESPN Radio
Episode 13: Manish Mehta of the Daily News and Judy Battista of the NYT Talk Jets, Tebow and Sanchez
Episode 12: Evan Silva and Josh Norris of Roto World Talk About the NFL Draft
Episode 11: NFL Podcast with Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports, Who Hates the Draft
Episode 10: Bruce Feldman of CBS Sports on the NFL Draft and College Football
Episode 9: NBA Playoff Talk with Howard Beck of the New York Times
Episode 8: Talking Michigan-Louisville and the NBA with Al Horford of the Atlanta Hawks
Episode 7: NFL Draft Talk with ESPN’s Todd McShay
Episode 6: Kevin Ware Reaction, with John Ourand, Dan Steinberg & Clay Travis
Episode 5: Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network
Episode 4: Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports
Episode 3: Jeff Goodman of CBS Sports
Episode 2: Doug Gottlieb of CBS Sports
Episode 1: Stephen Curry of the Golden State Warriors
blog comments powered by Disqus