Once upon a time, the Jonathan Martin/Richie Incognito story was inescapable. When Martin abruptly walked out on the Miami Dolphins, it prompted countless stories examining NFL locker room culture and bullying in our society. Incognito was identified as the chief antagonist who prompted Martin’s walk-out and he was eventually suspended for the rest the Dolphins season. By December, the story largely fell off the public radar.
Earlier this week, Martin finally spoke publicly via an exclusive interview with Tony Dungy. In turn, Incognito’s legal team released 40 pages of text messages between the two players to Miami’s CBS4 News. The texts include the infamous text from Incognito where he threatened to kill Martin’s family.
Here’s a sample of the NSFW texts the duo exchanged in December 2012:
Incognito and Martin were exchanging messages on December 17, 2012 and were going to go out together. At one point in the exchange, Martin told Incognito, “Ima egg your house & light a bag of s*** on fire then ring your doorbell.”
Incognito responded, “I’m going to shoot you and claim self defense. I’m white ur black I’ll walk.”
Martin responded back, “I’m gonna give McDonald bath salts and lock him in your house with a tranquilizer gun & a box of sand paper condoms.” Incognito replied to Martin, “Hahaha.”
The very next day, both were text messaging each other again as if nothing happened.
If there’s anything interesting it’s that Martin and Incognito remained in communication in the immediate wake of the news. Incognito texted Martin on multiple occasions after Martin left the team. Martin responded back “Wassup man? The world’s gone crazy lol I’m good tho congrats on the win,” and later, ““Yeah I’m good man. It’s insane bro but just know I don’t blame you guys at all its just the culture around football and the locker room got to me a little. Btw…never check yourself into a mental hospital.”
But once the media got wind of the story and it blew up into national news, Martin apparently went silent.
A little later in the day, Incognito texted Martin a picture of an article from ESPN.com titled, “Sources: NFLPA Eyes Martin Case.” Incognito followed that up with, “What’s up with this?”
Martin replied, “I got nothing to do with it man I haven’t said anything to anyone.”
Incognito replied, “I heard it’s all coming Ur agent?” Martin didn’t reply back to Incognito.
On November 2, Incognito wrote to Martin saying, “I need you buddy I’m getting killed in the media.” The next day Incognito again pleaded with Martin, “Bro can we talk? The dolphins are talking about releasing me”
We’ll see which direction this story takes from here. Dolphins coach Joe Philbin avoided the axe in the aftermath, although the team did get rid of General Manager Jeff Ireland. Team owner Stephen Ross has talked about the incident this week and hinted he knows how it will be resolved.
Safe bet: neither player suits up in the teal-and-white ever again.
For what it’s worth Incognito tweeted this on Thursday:
RELATED: Richie Incognito Reportedly Harassed Woman at Charity Golf Outing, Used Golf Club in Lewd Manner
RELATED: Richie Incognito: Dolphins Considered Him An “Honorary Black Man”
RELATED: Antrel Rolle Says Jonathan Martin, “Just As Much to Blame” as Richie Incognito in Radio Interview
RELATED: Half-N*****” and Talked About Defecating in His Mouth