The Ted Wells report, which investigated the Jonathan Martin-Richie Incognito bullying saga in Miami, has concluded that Martin, the 2nd year lineman from Stanford, was harassed by not only Incognito, but others.
we conclude that three starters on the Dolphins offensive line, Richie Incognito, John Jerry and Mike Pouncey, engaged in a pattern of harassment directed at not only Martin, but also another young Dolphins offensive lineman, whom we refer to as Player A for confidentiality reasons, and a member of the training staff, whom we refer to as the Assistant Trainer. We find that the Assistant Trainer repeatedly was targeted with racial slurs and other racially derogatory language. Player A frequently was subjected to homophobic name-calling and improper physical touching. Martin was taunted on a persistent basis with sexually explicit remarks about his sister and his mother and at times ridiculed with racial insults and other offensive comments.
What a disaster for the Dolphins and coach Joe Philbin. The investigation is 140 pages long among the lowlights:
* Martin claims that at times he participated in off-color joking with Incognito and others in an attempt to fit in, with the hope of reducing the treatment he found offensive.
* Martin was bullied in middle school and high school which “diminished his self-confidence and self-esteem,” contributing to “periodic bouts of depression” during his teenage years
* On two occasions in 2013, Martin “contemplated suicide”
* Incognito and the offensive line kept a “Fine book” (more on that here)
* Incognito also insulted Martin in person and in text messages with other racially charged language, including referring to Martin as a “liberal mulatto bitch,” “stinky Pakistani,” “shine box” and “darkness.”
* Martin, in a sad text message to his mother: “I’m never gonna change. I got punked again today. Like a little bitch. And I never do anything about it. I was sobbing in a rented yacht bathroom earlier”
* Dolphins’ Offensive Line Coach Jim Turner was aware of the running “joke” that Player A was gay, and on at least one occasion, he participated in the taunting. Around Christmas 2012, Coach Turner gave the offensive linemen gift bags that included a variety of stocking stuffers. The gifts included inflatable female dolls for all of the offensive linemen except Player A, who received a male “blow-up” doll.
* Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey admitted that they directed racially derogatory words toward him, including “Jap” and “Chinaman.” At times, according to Martin, they referred to the Assistant Trainer as a “dirty communist” or a “North Korean,” made demands such as “give me some water you fucking chink,” spoke to him in a phony, mocking Asian accent, including asking for “rubby rubby sucky sucky,” and called his mother a “rub and tug masseuse.”
* On December 7, 2012, the anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Incognito, Jerry and Pouncey donned traditional Japanese headbands that featured a rising sun emblem (which the Assistant Trainer had given them) and jokingly threatened to harm the Assistant Trainer physically in retaliation for the Pearl Harbor attack
You can read the entire report below.
Related: Richie Incognito a “Scumbag” and “Locker Room Cancer” Who Wanted “to Fight Everybody”
Related: Here are Over 1,000 Text Messages That Richie Incognito and Jonathan Martin Allegedly Exchanged
Related: Richie Incognito Blasts Jonathan Martin on Twitter, “The Truth Is Going to Bury You”
Related Joe Philbin Supposedly Wanted to Cut Richie Incognito After 2012 Sexual Harassment Incident
blog comments powered by Disqus