The FIFA World Cup™ is a great time for sports, but it’s also a great time for marketing brand managers. Take the buses the 32 teams will use to motor around the geographically vast nation of Brazil. FIFA found a way to increase its brand and one of its sponsors through the “Be There With Hyundai Contest” where fans got to determine a nifty slogan for each team’s ride via an online vote.
The results are … pretty hilarious, if unintentionally. Many of the 32 entrants sound like “the words” of the various major houses on Game of Thrones. Given the worldwide popularity for a show about dragons, swords and casual nudity, this shouldn’t be too unexpected.
If you’re really into branding or buses, the full list can be found here. I’d like to highlight a couple of the more noteworthy (with some Internet-approve snark.)
- Bosnia & Herzegovnia: ZMAJEVI U SRCU…ZMAJEVI NA TERENU!/DRAGONS IN HEART, DRAGONS ON THE FIELD! (Dracarys would been easier for the graphics department, right?)
- Cameroon: UN LION DEMEURE UN LION/A lion remains a Lion (Even Tyrion Lannister?)
- Brazil: PREPAREM-SE! O HEXA ESTÁ CHEGANDO!/BRACE YOURSELVES! THE 6TH IS COMING! (No winter is coming, a-doi.)
- Crotia: S VATROM U SRCIMA ZA HRVATSKU SVI KAO JEDAN!/WITH FIRE IN OUR HEARTS, FOR CROATIA ALL AS ONE! (Can we translate this into old Valryian for House Targaryen?)
- Portugual: O PASSADO É HISTÓRIA, O FUTURO É A VITÓRIA/The past is history. The future is victory. (Actually this would be a pretty good battlecry.)
These really have nothing to do with Game of Thrones, but are still (mildly) amusing:
- Australia: SOCCEROOS: HOPPING OUR WAY INTO HISTORY! (Never forget: Aussies have the best sense of
- France: IMPOSSIBLE N’EST PAS FRANCAIS/ IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FRENCH WORD (This one hurts my brain thinking about it. Please tell this to the 2010 edition of Les Bleus, or Samir Nasri’s girlfriend.)
- Netherlands: Echte mannen dragen oranje/REAL MEN WEAR ORANGE (Not terrible.)
- Russia: НАС НЕ ДОГОНЯТ!!!/No one can catch us (Or else Putin is going to …?)
And yes, here’s the American bus slogan which sounds exactly like something you’d see trying to sell a Ford F-150 truck: UNITED BY TEAM, DRIVEN BY PASSION