After a decade moving up the professional boxing ranks, Kell Brook gets the biggest opportunity of his career on Saturday night: a shot at the IBF welterweight title currently held by Shawn Porter (fight card begins at 9 pm ET on Showtime). It won’t be an easy task – Porter is unbeaten, and has already successfully defended his belt once, for a reason. But defeating Brook is a tall order too. How do we know?
1. No pro fighter has done it.
Brook’s record since turning pro at age 18 in 2004: 32 fights, 32 wins. 22 of those victories came via knockout. As his level of competition increases, Brook remains as dominant as ever: he’s scored TKOs in each of his last four wins.
2. If he backs you down, good luck.
3. You’ll probably need some luck even if he doesn’t.
4. His inspiration to start boxing? Bruce Lee.
Do not underestimate someone who takes after Bruce Lee. And while Brook’s serious about his boxing, he has pursuits outside the ring too. Take cycling.
5. He doesn’t just ride:
6. He goes to the Tour de France.
And thanks to his travels for boxing and training, he’s been able to take photos in some pretty cool places.
7. Some are in his native England:
8. Others across the pond.
9. Leading up to a fight, though, it’s all training, all the time.
And the results are clear. If he can get results in the ring, too?