Oklahoma beat Texas Tech 66-59. It was a classic Big 12 shootout. It was game that would have driven Chris Spielman to apoplexy. Here are some noteworthy numbers from this one.
- Oklahoma and Texas Tech each gained 854 total yards, for a total of 1708 yards. The teams ran a total of 185 plays, averaging a combined 9.23 yards/play. The least prolific unit was Texas Tech’s run game, producing a paltry 5.7 yards/carry.
- Defenses did not play well. Oklahoma allowed a first down on 20 of 25 third down attempts. Texas Tech only forced 10 third downs on 14 Oklahoma drives.
- Patrick Mahomes, in a losing effort, threw the ball 88 times for 734 yards and five touchdowns. He also added 85 yards (on 12 carries) and two more touchdowns on the ground.
- Eleven different players for Oklahoma and Texas Tech caught a reception of more than 20 yards. Seven had at least one catch of longer than 30 yards. 15 players had at least one catch of 15 yards or longer.
- Texas Tech and Oklahoma produced a run of 10-straight drives for touchdowns in the second half. Each drive went for 68 yards or longer. The longest was a Sooner drive that took 3:42.