Rick Barnes, the Texas basketball coach whose job has seemingly been in jeopardy for years, is being pressured by Athletic Director Steve Patterson to make changes to his staff, the Austin American Statesman reports.
Texas, despite always having some of the best talent in the Big 12, hasn’t reached the Sweet 16 since 2008. Barnes had a terrific run with the Longhorns from 2002-2008, when he guided them to a Final Four, two Sweet 16s and two Elite 8s.
But they’ve been coming up empty in March for a few years now, and last week’s 1st round loss to Butler might have been the final straw.
Texas would be a highly coveted job for all the obvious reasons, but the Longhorns also could return four of their top five players if freshman center Myles Turner doesn’t leap to the NBA. The team’s 2nd leading scorer, Jonathan Holmes, graduates.
Who might the Longhorns target for the job?
* Is this a job Gregg Marshall would consider? Leaving Wichita State for Alabama doesn’t seem like a big jump, but Texas is another level.
* Would they go after Dayton’s Archie Miller, who is definitely a coach on the rise?
* Tommy Amaker has done wonders at Harvard, would he leave?
* Everyone seems to love Josh Pastner (the recruiter) but what about Josh Pastner the coach?
* Xavier’s Chris Mack had another very good season, perhaps he’d leave the Big East for the Big 12?