Bill Plaschke — who’s a longtime columnist for the LA Times, a panelist on Around the Horn, and now co-hosts a daily morning radio show — joined our podcast to talk about his piece last week about Lamar Odom’s struggles, which are inextricably intertwined with the calculating Kardashian clan. Here’s part of what he wrote last Wednesday:
In our conversation, we discussed Odom’s health, his universally regarded affability, what impact the Kardashians had on his performance on the basketball court when he first became part of their television programs, and Plaschke’s interaction with Odom the first time he covered the relationship in print. Later, we moved onto the broader mechanisms of the Kardashian machine, and how complicit the press (as well as the public, whose consumption is voracious) is in all of this. Plaschke opined that, in light of their fame in absence of accomplishment, they’ve become the de facto royal family in America.
At the end, we changed the subject to what Plaschke would do if he were in charge of various LA sports institutions — who should coach the Dodgers and USC, which NFL team(s) should relocate there — and what his reporting makes him think will happen.
PAST GLASS HALF EMPTY PODCASTS:
- Was Urban Meyer Alright With Players Publicly Asking Taylor Swift and Ronda Rousey Out?
- Ex-Vikings Mascot Ragnar Tells His Side of the Story
- Brett Taylor, the Cubs Blogger Who Left a Big Law Firm
- Gary Sheffield Talks MLB Playoffs, Harper-Papelbon, and Hall of Fame
- Scott Van Pelt Talks Midnight SportsCenter, Madison As Best College Sports Town in America
- Matthew Berry Has Like 45 Jobs
- Jim Ross Talks About His Live Show, Roddy Piper, and Steroids in Hollywood
- Clay Travis Talks SEC Media Days, New Deal With Fox Sports, and the Confederate Flag
- A Long Conversation With Frank Deford
- Mike Florio Part 2: Talks About PFT History, His Deal With NBC, and if He Regrets the Dez Bryant Story
- Mike Florio Part 1: Goodell Underling(s) were out to get the Patriots
- Does ESPN’s Sarah Spain worry that her politics will make her polarizing?
- ESPN’s David Purdum talks about Tony Romo, fantasy football, and the NFL’s gambling hypocrisies
- Cleveland sports talk host and Anthony Lima on LeBron, Delly, and Johnny Manziel
- ESPN’s Dan Le Batard talks about his career, Papi, and Bill Simmons
- TNT’s Kenny Smith before the NBA conference finals